The Possessió de Raixa near Bunyola is a magnificent country estate famous for its Italian style villa and gardens developed by the Despuig family under their ownership from 1660 until the early 1900s. The original estate pre-dates 1229 when it would have been an Arab farmstead. Today the property is owned by the Consell de Mallorca and is listed by UNESCO as a world heritage site.
Raixa has the largest water reservoir (cisterna) on the island at 82 meters long, 17 wide and 7.5 meters deep. Designed by the engineer Francisco Rigaud de Tirgalle in 1753 and enlarged in 1806 with water rights granted from neighbouring Valdemossa, the reservoir feeds the estate’s vineyards, olive groves and gardens. Another view of this amazing reservoir below.